Tech & Engineering Services Acquisition Planning Package
Government buyers can use this APP to develop and release a solicitation for Technical and Engineering Services. Leverage the instructional content below, along with the linked sample, template, and reference documents, to better understand the subcategory and obtain needed products, services, or solutions.
Acquisition Lifecycle Overview
Use the following overview to gain a high-level understanding of pre-solicitation lifecycle stages and quickly navigate to relevant resources
- Discovery: Learn about the current Technical and Engineering Services acquisition environment and review critical resources before beginning your acquisition
- Relevant documents: Buyer's Guides and other critical resources
- Requirements Definition: Document your needs and estimate associated costs to set the foundation for a successful acquisition
- Relevant documents: SOO, PWS, SOW, IGCE, Buying Tips / Tools
- Market Research and Planning: Inform your acquisition strategy by collecting information on the supply base, available contract vehicles, and key regulations
- Relevant documents: RFI, Sources Sought Notice, Market Research Report, MRAS Report, Policy and/or Guidance
- Solicitation Development: Develop solicitation documents to help clearly express your business requirements and invite private sector contractors to compete for your work
- Relevant documents: RFQ, RFP, Other Solicitation Resources and Templates
Learn about the current Technical and Engineering Services acquisition environment and review critical resources before beginning your acquisition
Gain a broad understanding of acquisitions in this subcategory using the resources below. Please note that certain resources are also listed within the other stages.
Technical and Engineering Services Acquisition Overview
Please email email@example.com with questions, general feedback, and suggestions on additional documents to be included. Request immediate procurement support from your local Customer Service Director here.
High-impact reference documents that overview the subcategory across lifecycle stages
Document your needs and estimate associated costs to set the foundation for a successful acquisition
Use these samples and templates to develop a requirements document for your acquisition. If you expect your acquisition to exceed the simplified acquisition threshold, use the IGCE resources to develop a cost estimate to supplement your requirements document. Additional Buying Tips and Tools have also been provided to help inform requirements and estimate costs / pricing.
Statement of Objectives (SOO)
A requirements document that establishes the overarching objectives of the acquisition to allow contractors maximum flexibility in meeting government needs.
A requirements document for performance-based acquisitions that clearly describes performance objectives and standards expected of the contractor.
- Cartographic Services and Electronic Navigation Products PWS (NOAA 2019)
- Civil Engineering Support Services PWS (USAF)
- Engineering and Analysis Support PWS (USAF 2019)
- Engineering and Scientific Program Support PWS (USA)
- Independent Technical and Engineering Advisory Services PWS (DOE)
- Program Management Services PWS (USTDA 2019)
- Satellite Communications Support Services PWS (DOD)
- Technical Services PWS (NOAA)
- Training Systems Engineering and Technical Support PWS (USAF)
Statement of Work (SOW)
A requirements document that clearly and specifically describes the work to be done in developing or producing the products and/or services delivered by the contractor
- Agricultural Lab Services SOW (EPA)
- Blast Study / Civil Engineering SOW (GSA 2019)
- Microbiological Monitoring and Lab Testing SOW (VA 2020)
Independent Government Cost Estimate (IGCE)
An assessment / estimate of the contract's potential costs based on industry standards. Please use this link to access GSA's standard IGCE creation tool
Inform your acquisition strategy by collecting information on the supply base, available contract vehicles, and key regulations
Use templates or the MRAS resource to conduct your own market research. Alternatively, review sample documents to understand existing capabilities to meet your business / acquisition needs. Additional Policy and/or Guidance has also been provided to help identify key regulations or processes for existing contract vehicles.
Request for Information (RFI)
A process / document used by government agencies to gauge industry interest and gather information on contractor capabilities and other general market information. Responses are used for information only and are not considered part of an official proposal
- Data Analytics and Wargame Modeling RFI (OSD CAPE 2016)
- MAS Professional Services Template for RFI (GSA)
Market Research Report (MRR)
A type of market research report outlining available commercial capabilities, vendors, and contract vehicles to meet business / acquisition needs. These reports can be produced independently or through MRAS (detailed below).
Market Research as a Service Report (MRAS)
A type of market research report developed by GSA's internal Market Research as a Service (MRAS) offering. Please use this link to request a MRAS report
Develop solicitation documents to help clearly express your business requirements and invite private sector contractors to compete for your work
Use samples and templates to develop your own solicitation and request responses from contractors capable and interested in fulfilling the requirements. The formats below provide different ways to structure your solicitation depending on the complexity of your needs.
Request for Quotation (RFQ)
A solicitation type used to obtain pricing information for clearly defined products or services (e.g. COTS). RFQs are typically used to meet the business needs listed in a requirements document
- MAS Professional Services Template for BPA RFQ (GSA)
- MAS Professional Services Template for RFQ (GSA)
Other Solicitation Resources and Templates
Additional resources to support the development and release of your solicitation