Records Management Solutions
The following resources are available to help you buy the Electronic Records Management (ERM) Solution you need. We’re here to help! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org early in the process if you need support.
Ensuring Compliance with Policies and Mandates
The General Services Administration (GSA) and the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) worked together to develop Universal Electronic Records Management (ERM) standards. Simultaneously, GSA incorporated these requirements into the Multiple Award Schedule (MAS) under Special Item Number (SIN) 518210ERM (formerly GSA MAS 36’s SIN 51 600).
- Read the OMB/NARA Memorandum M-19-21: Transition to Electronic Records which describes the steps the Government will take to meet the NARA goals and deadlines mandated herein.
- Read the OMB/NARA Memorandum M-23-07: Update to Transition to Electronic Records which reinforces the requirements established in M-19-21, reaffirms the underlying goal of the transition to electronic records, and updates the previous target dates described in M-19-21.
- Download the most current version of NARA's Universal Electronic Records Management (ERM) Requirements. GSA incorporates the latest version via solicitation refreshes and corresponding modifications to existing MAS contracts; All contractors awarded contracts under GSA MAS SIN 518210ERM must select which of the ERM elements they are capable of providing and self-certify their understanding and ability to meet the associated requirements/standards for those elements. The completed certification is published on GSA eLibrary as part of their Terms & Conditions.
- Download the latest Universal Use Cases - The Universal Use Cases serve as a tool agencies can use when procuring services or solutions to manage electronic records. They can be used by agencies to demonstrate how vendors perform the described requirements and workflows. These are built directly off the Federal Business Lifecycle and Business Capabilities. They tell the "stories" of how to manage electronic records.
- Reach out to the GSA/NARA team early in the process to learn about ERM working group events and to take advantage of best practices by emailing email@example.com.
Purchasing a Records Management Needs Assessment
Conducting a Needs Assessment as a first step to your electronic records management procurement process will help an agency avoid purchasing a solution that does not properly suit their unique situation or that will not efficiently manage their records. GSA MAS contractors offer services and personnel with the necessary skills and experience with electronic records management to complete an electronic records management program needs assessment which can include conducting site and/or system surveys and assessments; identifying business needs for records management; identifying technical news for records management that aligns with NARA’s Universal Electronic Records Management Requirements, and more. Download NARA's sample Needs Assessment Statement of Objectives (SOO) [DOCX - 26 KB] to get an idea of how you might buy this service to help you develop your records management requirements and acquisition strategy.
Complimentary Market Research Support
- Take advantage of GSA’s free Market Research as a Service (MRAS), where GSA will conduct additional market research on your behalf to identify capable vendors and assist you in developing your acquisition strategy.
- Post your Request for Information (RFI) or a Sources Sought RFI under Electronic Records Management Solutions Category 518210ERM using GSA eBuy, our online Request for Quotation (RFQ) tool.
- In addition to shortlisting the vendors who can meet your requirements, we encourage you to consider including open ended questions and/or attaching draft requirements to gain a better understanding of the available solutions and improve your SOW/SOO before posting the RFQ.
- It is also suggested to include any information to help give vendors a sense of the requirement’s scope, e.g. estimated quantity of records and record types, estimate for how many documents may require file maintenance, your preferred software and/or platforms, where the records are located, whether digitization (SIN 518210DC) is required, if there are any security or clearance requirements, etc.
- GSA Customer Service Directors can assist you with navigating the eBuy system or submitting your request for GSA to post it on your behalf.
Acquisition Samples and Templates
Additional sample acquisition documents, templates, and guides to help you prepare your acquisition package and execute your contract are available for download in GSA’s Electronic Records Management Acquisition Planning Package.
New Product Service Codes (PSCs)
Use the new Product Service Codes (PSCs) established in 2019 to properly report spending for records management in the Federal Procurement Data System (FPDS).
- R616 - Physical Records Management (SIN 493110RM)
- R617 - Electronic Records Management (SIN 518210ERM)