Energy Efficient Products
GSA offers two categories of energy efficient products:
- ENERGY STAR®, a voluntary labeling program designed to promote energy efficient products to reduce greenhouse gas emissions; and
- The Department of Energy’s Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP), which sets performance requirements for energy efficient products, including standby power levels.
Requirements and Policy
Federal laws and regulations mandate that federal agencies conserve energy and purchase energy-efficient products. The Energy Policy Act 1992/2005 (EPACT) requires that Federal agencies incorporate energy efficiency criteria consistent with ENERGY STAR® and FEMP designated products for all procurements involving energy-consuming products and services. The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA) requires agencies to buy products with low standby power of not more than 1 watt if the lower-wattage product is life cycle cost effective and if the performance of the product is not compromised.
Federal Acquisition Regulation
FAR 23.203 requires agencies to purchase ENERGY STAR® or FEMP designated products unless exempt as provided in FAR 23.204. An agency is not required to procure an ENERGY STAR® or FEMP-designated product if the head of the agency determines in writing that:
- No ENERGY STAR® or FEMP-designated product is reasonably available that meets the functional requirements of the agency; or
- No ENERGY STAR® or FEMP-designated product is cost effective over the life of the product taking energy cost savings into account.
Executive Order 13834 Efficient Federal Operations requires that agencies acquire, use, and dispose of products and services in accordance with statutory mandates for purchasing preference, FAR requirements, and other applicable Federal procurement policies.
Find ENERGY STAR and FEMP-Recommended Products in GSA Advantage!
Visit the GSA Advantage!® Environmental Aisle to search for ENERGY STAR® and FEMP designated products available under the GSA Multiple Award Schedule and GSA Global SupplyTM, including:
- Construction Products;
- Commercial and Industrial Equipment;
- Food Service Equipment;
- Office Equipment; and