The Federal Building and Courthouse in Gainesville, Georgia is
significant because it is architecturally distinctive as one of the
town's oldest Classical Revival buildings; and it remains a symbol of the Federal presence
The white marble Federal Building was constructed in the Classical
Revival style. Written reports from Allan C. Burdick, Construction
Supervisor, to James Knox Taylor indicate that the building was
constructed between 1909 and 1910. The reports express Mr.
Burdick's frustration with some of the workmen (specifically
carpenters). Later reports show that interior work was ongoing by
spring of 1910 and that the building was occupied later that year.
The Federal Building and Courthouse was one of the few structures
neither destroyed nor heavily damaged by a tornado which nearly
destroyed all of downtown Gainesville on April 6, 1936. As a result of the new construction in the downtown area, the Federal Building has the distinction of being one of the town's oldest buildings.
The Gainesville Post Office was established in 1823 and was housed
in various buildings until 1910. In that year a new white marble
post office facility was completed in the Classical Revival style.
During 1934 and 1935, the post office moved to a store building
while the new Federal Building and Courthouse was under
construction. The newer building represents an addition to the
original building and repeats the Classical Revival style. The
completed Federal Building was occupied in 1936 by the U.S. Postal
Service and the Courts. The Post Office relocated in 1967 and the
building retained the Federal Courts and related offices.
Throughout its history the Federal Building and Courthouse has
served as a symbol of the Federal presence in Gainesville, Georgia.