U.S. Border Patrol Sector Headquarters, Building 2, New Orleans, LA
The GSA building number for the building is LA0812NE, but internally at the INS compound, it is referred to as Building #2. Building #2 of the New Orleans Border Patrol Station is built in the Bungaloid style. It is a small, one-story brick building with the brick laid in common bond. Traditionally the building was used as a four-bay garage housing related paint and carpenter shops. The main elevation is the east with the four garage bays opening to the north and the three bays of windows at the carpenter shop to the south. Windows are six over six double hung wood with stone keystones. The north elevation consists of five bays of the same windows. The south elevation has large roll-up door openings to the carpenter and machine shops with two bays of windows between. The west elevation consists of nine bays of the same windows.
Interior finishes are utilitarian. They consist of concrete floors, painted brick walls and plaster ceilings.
The INS compound has a long history in its current location, however the original site has been dramatically reduced by about half. One adjacent historic building appears in disuse and possibly should be reclaimed to prevent further deterioration and also add needed space to the INS compound.
Situated at the mouth of the Mississippi River, and a short distance from the Gulf of Mexico, New Orleans has been, since its beginning, a significant port. The harbor is one of the busiest in the world. The Border Patrol Station is located adjacent to the Naval facility on the banks of the Mississippi River within the bend that gives New Orleans its nickname, "Crescent City". Between 1926 and 1939, the U.S. Government embarked on a large-scale building project. The project was expanded in the early 1930s to provide jobs during the Depression. U.S. Border Patrol Building #2 was built during this period.
Though obivously not as busy as New York or San Francisco, the port of New Orleans has traditionally accepted many immigrants, primarily from South America. The Border Patrol buildings were part of the Immigration and Naturalization Service facility in New Orleans. Building #2 was used as a shop facility with garage bays. As the law enforcement arm of the INS, the Border Patrol has the responsibility to detect and prevent smuggling and unlawful entry into the U.S.
The Border Patrol Building #2 is significant because it was part of the Federal building program of the 1930s, and because it has performed its historic function continually since that time.