U.S. Courthouse, Augusta, GA
The United States Courthouse is a 3-story Renaissance Revival Federal building, executed in white marble. The building is raised about 3' on a granite base; 12 steps run the width of the main elevation. First floor openings are arched and square 2nd floor windows have iron balconies. Fluted pilasters with corinthian capitals support a simple full-width entablature with the words "United States Post Office" inscribed. Above the entablature is an attic (3rd) story, surmounted by a red clay mission tile roof with carved bracketed rafter ends.
The exterior is an excellent example of the Renaissance Revival style and is in good, original condition.
The United States Courthouse in Augusta, Georgia is an imposing Renaissance Revival style building. Land was acquired in 1911 at a cost of $35,000. The building was completed in 1916 for a construction cost of $734,000. Oscar Wenderoth is listed as the Supervising Architect. An extension was added in 1936. The U.S. Courthouse is significant as an example of Renaissance Revival style, for its use of rich architectural materials and detailing, and as an example of the Federal presence in Augusta.
The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 21, 2000.