Public Buildings Service
Mission: To provide effective and sustainable workplace solutions for federal agencies at the best value for the American Taxpayer.
As the landlord for the civilian federal government, Public Buildings Service (PBS) acquires space on behalf of the federal government through new construction and leasing, and acts as a caretaker for federal properties across the country. PBS owns or leases 8,700 assets, maintains an inventory of more than 370 million square feet of workspace for 1.1 million federal employees, and preserves more than 481 historic properties .
PBS is funded primarily through the Federal Buildings Fund, which is supported by rent from federal customer agencies.
- Design and construction
- Promote innovative workplace solutions
- Act as a green proving ground
- Support the development of urban communities
- Manage federal property disposal
- Provide space for more than 100 child care centers
- Donate or sell real estate for federal agencies
- Commission artwork for new federal buildings and conserve a substantial inventory of Work Progress Administration art
- Support sustainable design initiatives
- Preserve historically significant buildings for future generations