FY 2024 Per Diem Highlights
We establish the per diem rates for the continental United States (CONUS), which includes the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia. Federal agencies use the per diem rates to reimburse their employees for subsistence expenses incurred while on official travel.
Federal per diem rates consist of a maximum lodging allowance component and a meals and incidental expenses (M&IE) component. Most of CONUS (approximately 2,600 counties) is covered by the standard rate of $166 ($107 lodging, $59 M&IE). In fiscal year (FY) 2024, there are 302 non-standard areas (NSAs) that have per diem rates higher than the standard rate.
Since FY 2005, we have based the maximum lodging allowances on average daily rate (ADR) data. ADR is a widely accepted lodging industry measure derived from a property's room rental revenue divided by the number of rooms rented. This calculation provides us with the average rate in an area. For more information about how lodging per diem rates are determined, visit Factors Influencing Lodging Rates.
We remind agencies that the Federal Travel Regulation (FTR) allows for actual expense reimbursement when per diem rates are insufficient to meet necessary expenses. Please see FTR § § 301-11.300 through 11.306 for more information.
FY 2024 Results
The standard CONUS lodging rate will increase from $98 to $107. All current NSAs will have lodging rates at or above FY 2023 rates. The M&IE per diem tiers for FY 2024 are unchanged at $59-$79, with the standard M&IE rate unchanged at $59.
There are two new NSA locations this year:
- Huntsville, AL (Madison County)
- Charles Town, WV (Jefferson County)
The following locations that were NSAs (or part of an established NSA) in FY 2023 will move into the standard CONUS rate category:
- Hammond / Munster / Merrillville, IN (Lake County)
- Wichita, KS (Sedgwick County)
- Baton Rouge, LA (East Baton Rouge Parish)
- Baltimore County, MD
- Frederick, MD (Frederick County)
- East Lansing / Lansing, MI (Ingham and Eaton Counties)
- Kalamazoo / Battle Creek, MI (Kalamazoo and Calhoun Counties)
- Eagan/ Burnsville / Mendota Heights, MN (Dakota County)
- Akron, OH (Summit County)
- Wooster, OH (Wayne County)
- Erie, PA (Erie County)
- Corpus Christi, TX (Nueces County)
- Round Rock, TX (Williamson County)
- Appleton, WI (Outagamie County)
- Brookfield / Racine, WI (Waukesha and Racine Counties)
- Morgantown, WV (Monongalia County)