Part 301-2-General Rules

Authority: 5 U.S.C. 5707; 31 U.S.C. 1353; 49 U.S.C. 40118.
§301-2.1 Must I have authorization to travel?

Yes, generally you must have written or electronic authorization prior to incurring any travel expense. If it is not practicable or possible to obtain such authorization prior to travel, your agency may approve a specific authorization for reimbursement of travel expenses after travel is completed. However, written or electronic advance authorization is required for items in §301-2.5(c), (i), (n), and (o) of this part.

§301-2.2 What travel expenses may my agency pay?

Your agency may pay only those expenses essential to the transaction of official business, which include:

  1. Transportation expenses as provided in part 301-10 of this chapter;

  2. Per diem expenses as provided in part 301-11 of this chapter;

  3. Miscellaneous expenses as provided in part 301-12 of this chapter; and

  4. Travel expenses of an employee with special needs as provided in part 301-13 of this chapter.

§301-2.3 What standard of care must I use in incurring travel expenses?

You must exercise the same care in incurring expenses that a prudent person would exercise if traveling on personal business.

§301-2.4 For what travel expenses am I responsible?

You are responsible for expenses over the reimbursement limits established in this chapter. Your agency will not pay for excess costs resulting from circuitous routes, delays, or luxury accommodations or services unnecessary or unjustified in the performance of official business.

§301-2.5 What travel arrangements require specific authorization or prior approval?

You must have a specific authorization or prior approval for:

  1. Use of other than coach-class service on common carrier transportation;

  2. Use of a foreign air carrier;

  3. Use of reduced fares for group or charter arrangements;

  4. Use of cash to pay for common carrier transportation;

  5. Use of extra-fare train service;

  6. Travel by ship;

  7. Use of a rental car;

  8. Use of a Government aircraft;

  9. Payment of a reduced per diem rate;

  10. Payment of actual expense, unless your agency has issued a blanket actual expense authorization under §301-70.201;

  11. Travel expenses related to emergency travel;

  12. Transportation expenses related to threatened law enforcement/investigative employees and members of their families;

  13. Travel expenses related to travel to a foreign area;

  14. Acceptance of payment from a non-Federal source for travel expenses, see chapter 304 of this subtitle;

  15. Travel expenses related to attendance at a conference; and

  16. Due to an employee's medical requirements or religious beliefs, payment of the full M&IE allowance even though meals are furnished by the Government either directly or through a registration fee or other payment for a conference or other event, in accordance with §301-11.18(b).

Note to §301-2.5:paragraphs (c), (i), (n), and (o) of this section require a written or electronic advance authorization.

Last Reviewed: 2020-01-10