Preservation Tools & Resources
Many architectural and realty professionals contribute to preservation projects. Each needs and uses different tools in his or her work. The Center for Historic Buildings supports these professionals by:
- Developing prototype solutions and tools
- Promoting best practice exchange between GSA business lines, vendors, project planners, and field operations
- Sharing and building upon, the agency's growing pool of expertise and accumulated knowledge
- Providing national leadership for compliance with the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) and other stewardship directives
The Center also works with Regional Historic Preservation Officers and technical staff in each of GSA’s eleven regions to provide day-to-day consultation support to ensure projects and actions comply with the NHPA and are consistent with GSA policy and national stewardship strategy.
This section of the Historic Preservation website centralizes the most commonly used tools and resources.
GSA offers a number of convenient tools for managing GSA’s historic properties.
Historic Building Database
Foremost among these tools is Historic Buildings Database, the data for which is presented to GSA associates via our website, which can be used to generate individual building profiles and other reports.
The website includes GSA’s historic building list, locations, statements of significance, and photographs (see Explore Historic Buildings, Find a Building).
- Qualification Requirements for Preservation Architects and Other Specialists
- Competency of Bidder Clauses in Construction Contracts
- Lease Requirements for Protection of Environmental, Archeological, and Historic Resources
- Price Preference for Historic Properties in Lease Acquisitions
- Executive Order 13006 Fact Sheet
- GSA Historic Property Leasing Price Preference
- Project Management Preservation Checklist
- Historic Preservation Decision Trees
- Site Solicitation Location Clause
- Section 106 Compliance Report Template
- Upgrading Windows in Historic Buildings
- Upgrading Lighting in Historic Buildings
- HVAC Upgrades in Historic Buildings
- Historic Building Roofing
- Fire Safety Retrofit
- Perimeter Security for Historic Buildings
Find hundreds of references and specifications for rehabilitating, repairing and maintaining historic buildings, landscapes and structures. The information found here addresses a wide variety of issues, materials and features, such as:
- Doors and Windows
- and more