MEDIA ADVISORY: Presidential Transition Fact Sheet
November 17, 2000
Contact: GSA Media Office
Washington, DC - - Transition headquarters is located at 1800 G Street NW, formerly headquarters for Y2K activity. The approximate cost of the leased space is $700,000, to cover the 73 days between the Nov. 7 presidential election and the Presidential Inauguration on Jan. 20. The zip code created for the headquarters is 20270.
- Public funds: Congress appropriated $5.27 million in FY2001 for the President-elect to effect the transition, under the Presidential Transition Act of 1963.
- Private donations up to $5,000 from any one private person or organization may supplement appropriated funds. Such donations must be reported to the GSA Administrator within 30 days after Inauguration.
GSA RESPONSIBILITES INCLUDE PROVIDING:
- 90,000 square feet of office space, the former Y2K headquarters, to accommodate 540 employees, mostly on two floors; 800 square-foot visitor center in lobby is included in the 90,000 square feet;
- office space, furniture, machines, equipment;
- information technology, telecommunications;
- transition workers' salaries, other compensation;
- hiring of experts/consultants;
- payment of necessary and appropriate travel, subsistence, printing, postal and other expenses;
- coordinating, developing and delivering orientation sessions for the President-elect's nominees for Cabinet and key White House positions;
- online directory of federal government Presidential Transition information.
- payroll management;
- financial advice and management; and
- setting up mail management for transition team to implement.
GSA, one of the Federal government's three central management executive agencies, provides policy leadership and smart solutions in services, space and products, at the best value, to enable federal employees to accomplish their missions.
# # #