Mechanical Design Standards
The latest editions of publications and standards listed here are intended as guidelines for design. They are mandatory only where referenced as such in the text of this chapter or in applicable codes. The list is not meant to restrict the use of additional guides or standards. When publications and standards are referenced as mandatory, any recommended practices or features shall be considered “required.” When discrepancies between requirements are encountered, GSA shall determine the requirement.
- ASHRAE: Handbook of Fundamentals.
- ASHRAE: Handbook of HVAC Applications.
- ASHRAE: Handbook of HVAC Systems and Equipment.
- ASHRAE: Standard 15: Safety Code for Mechanical Refrigeration.
- ASHRAE: Standard 52: Gravimetric and Dust-Spot Procedures for Testing Air-Cleaning Devices Used in General Ventilation for Removing Particulate Matter.
- ASHRAE: Standard 55: Thermal Environmental Conditions for Human Occupancy.
- ASHRAE: Standard 62: Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality.
- ASHRAE: Standard 90.1: Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings.
- ASHRAE: Standard 100: Energy Conservation in Existing Buildings.
- ASHRAE: Standard 105: Standard Method of Measuring and Expressing Building Energy Performance.
- ASHRAE: Standard 111: Practices for Measurement, Testing, Adjusting and Balancing of Building HVAC Systems.
- ASHRAE: Standard 114: Energy Management Control Systems Instrumentation.
- ASHRAE: Standard 135: BACnet: A Data Communication Protocol for Building Automation and Control Networks.
- ASHRAE: Guideline #4: Preparation of Operating and Maintenance Documentation for Building Systems.
- American National Standards Association: ANSI Z 223.1.
- National Fuel Gas Code Standard 54.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers: ASME Manuals.
- American Society of Plumbing Engineers: ASPE Data Books.
- Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors’ National Association, Inc. (SMACNA):
- ASHRAE HVAC System Duct Design.
- SMACNA HVAC Duct Construction Standards: Metal and Flexible.
- SMACNA HVAC Air Duct Leakage Test Manual.
- SMACNA Fire, Smoke and Radiation Damper Installation Guide for HVAC Systems.
- Seismic Restraint Manual Guidelines for Mechanical Systems.
- NFPA Standard 96
- All applicable regulations and requirements of local utility companies having jurisdiction.
- EIA/TIA Standard 569: Commercial Building Standard For Telecommunications Pathways And Spaces (and related bulletins).