FDA Headquarters Consolidation
Supplemental EIS for Master Plan Update 2008-2009
On September 2, 2009, GSA issued a Record of Decision (ROD) for the Master Plan Update for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Headquarters Consolidation at White Oak to accommodate growth from 7,720 to 8,889 employees. The growth is needed to support the legislatively mandated expansion of the FDA Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) and the Medical Device User Fee and Modernization Act (MDUFMA) programs. The ROD documents GSA's decision to implement Alternative 2: Dispersed Density Action Alternative. This alternative includes the following:
- Construction of facilities to accommodate the increase of FDA employees from 7,720 to 8,889;
- Construction of a new office building on the northwester portion of the site;
- Relocation of the 21,000 square foot Child Care Center and 25,000 square foot Broadcast Studio;
- Construction of a 10,000 square foot fitness center;
- Expansion of the CUP by 50,000 square feet and construction of a thermal water storage tank;
- Construction of a 300,000 gallon elevated water storage tank for potable water; and
- Elimination of the need for an antenna farm because of advances in technology.
The specific components of and rationale for GSA's decision is outlined. A complete copy of the ROD is available for download from this site. The decision is based on analyses contained in the Draft Supplemental EIS issued March 2009, and the Final Supplemental EIS issued in July 2009. The Supplemental EIS analyzed a range of alternative including a no action alternative for the proposed Master Plan update. As part of the Supplemental EIS, GSA studied the impacts of each alternative on the human environment.
Public Involvement Conclusion
Throughout the development of the Supplemental EIS, GSA provided opportunities for the public to comment on the expansion of the FDA Consolidated Headquarters at White Oak. On March 7, 2008, a notice was published in the Federal Register informing the public of GSA's intent to prepare a Supplemental EIS for the Master Plan Update and announcing a 30-day public scoping period and public meeting. Comments received during the scoping period were considered during the preparation of the Draft SEIS. The Draft SEIS was made available for public comment from March 27, 2009 through May 11, 2009. In addition, a public hearing was held during the public comment period for the Draft SEIS. The Final SEIS was made available for a 30-day public review period that ended August 31, 2009. A ROD was signed on September 2, 2009.
Action Selected for Implementation
GSA selected Alternative 2, Dispersed Density Action Alternative, for implementation.