Replacing Broken, Missing Or Non-Original Glass With New Leaded Glass Panels
- Procedure code:
- National Capitol Region Specifications
- Doors and Windows
- Leaded Glass
- Last Modified:
REPLACING BROKEN, MISSING OR NON-ORIGINAL GLASS WITH NEW LEADED
A. This procedure includes guidance on replacing broken or
missing glass with new leaded glass to match existing.
B. See 01100-07-S for general project guidelines to be
reviewed along with this procedure. These guidelines
cover the following sections:
1. Safety Precautions
2. Historic Structures Precautions
4. Quality Assurance
5. Delivery, Storage and Handling
6. Project/Site Conditions
7. Sequencing and Scheduling
8. General Protection (Surface and Surrounding)
These guidelines should be reviewed prior to performing
this procedure and should be followed, when applicable,
along with recommendations from the Regional Historic
Preservation Officer (RHPO).
A. Product Data: Submit manufacturer's technical data for
each product indicated including recommendations for
their application and use. Include test reports and
certifications substantiating that products comply with
B. Restoration Program: Submit written program for each
phase of restoration process including protection of
surrounding materials on building and site during
operations. Describe in detail materials, methods and
equipment to be used for each phase of restoration work.
C. Samples: Submit for verification purposes, prior to mock-
up erection, samples of the following:
1. Each type of replacement glass.
2. Each type of lead came.
1.03 QUALITY ASSURANCE
A. Field Samples: Prior to start of leaded glass restoration
work, prepare the following sample panels in building
where directed by RHPO. Obtain RHPO's acceptance of
visual qualities before proceeding with the work. Retain
acceptable panels in undisturbed condition, suitably
marked, during construction as a standard for judging
1. Cleaning: Demonstrate materials and methods to be
used for cleaning on sample panel of approximately
4 (four) sq. Ft. in area.
2. New Leaded Glass Panels: Prepare sample panel to
demonstrate quality of materials and workmanship
for each type of new leaded glass panel work.
1.04 DELIVERY, STORAGE AND HANDLING
A. Packing and Shipping: Protect materials during transit,
delivery, storage and handling to prevent damage, soiling
A. Glass: Provide new glass to match opacity, color,
thickness, texture, pattern and other aesthetic
characteristics of existing glass.
B. Putty: Standard putty manufactured specifically for
leaded glass work.
C. Braces and Other Accessories: Provide new to match
D. Cleaner: Manufacturer's standard ammonia-base cleaning
solution specifically designed for cleaning of leaded
E. Water for Cleaning: Clean, potable, free of oils, acids,
alkalis, salts and organic matter.
F. Clean, soft cloths
A. Stiff bristle brush
3.01 ERECTION, INSTALLATION, APPLICATION
A. Replacing Broken, Missing or Non-Original Glass:
1. Prior to replacing broken or missing glass, provide
braces and temporary support as required to protect
leaded glass work from deflection or other kind of
2. Pry up edges of lead came around location of new
piece of glass.
3. Remove any fragments of broken glass or any other
material in channel of lead came that would affect
installation of new piece.
4. Cut new piece of replacement glass and install in
location using putty in channels to hold new glass
tightly in place.
5. Press lead cames down to flat position and repair
any broken or damaged solder joints. See 08822-01-
R for guidance.
1. Clean all leaded glass surfaces.
2. Vacuum or brush loose dirt and dust from surfaces
3. Wash both sides of glass using a clean cloth and
4. Rinse both surfaces thoroughly using a clean cloth
and clean water to completely remove dirt and
cleaner residue. Change rinse water frequently.
5. Repeat process as required to produce effect
established by mock-up.
6. Wipe the surface with a dry clean cloth to prevent
A. Protect leaded glass from damage during construction
B. At completion of project, remove any protective coverings
and reclean any soiled surfaces using procedures and
materials described herein.
END OF SECTION