Center for Charge Card Management and GSA SmartPay
The Center for Charge Card Management administers the GSA SmartPay® Program, which is the world’s largest government charge card and commercial payment solutions program, providing services to more than 350 federal agencies, organizations, and Native American tribal governments.
GSA SmartPay payment solutions enable authorized government employees to make purchases on behalf of the federal government in support of their agency/organization’s mission.
Federal account holders use GSA SmartPay payment solutions for:
- Commercial goods and services;
- Travel related expenses; and
- Fleet expenses.
Some of the benefits for customers using GSA SmartPay payment solutions for government procurement include:
- Cost Savings Realized: Customers have the opportunity to realize administrative cost savings through payment efficiencies. The estimated administrative savings for the purchase card alone is $1.7 Billion per year ($70 per transaction) when used in place of a written purchase order. Agencies also pay no direct fees and features include automated account reconciliation, spend audits, and data mining options, which are compliant with P.L. 112-194 data mining requirements.
- Agency Refunds: Agencies have the opportunity to earn refunds based on the dollar volume of transactions and the speed of payment. Since the program’s inception in 1998, customers have earned more than $3 Billion in net refunds for mission support.
- Safety and Transparency: The GSA SmartPay Program provides secure solutions for efficient payment transactions. Customers also have access to tools that promote increased transparency through access to spend and performance data.
- Electronic Access to Data: Through GSA SmartPay contractor bank online systems, account managers and account holders have immediate access to complete transaction-level data, helping to mitigate fraud, waste, and abuse.
- Worldwide Acceptance: Through the use of commercial payment infrastructure, customers are able to use GSA SmartPay solutions anywhere in the world where merchants accept cards.
- Identification for Discount Programs: GSA SmartPay solutions provide automatic point-of-sale recognition for many GSA discount programs, including Federal Strategic Sourcing Initiative programs, the GSA City Pair Program, and more. A GSA SmartPay travel payment solution is required to obtain airfare discounts through the GSA City Pair program, creating billions in annual savings governmentwide.
- Other Benefits: GSA SmartPay payment solutions provide other less tangible benefits including travel insurance and eliminating the need for imprest funds or petty cash at the agency.
Visit the GSA SmartPay website for further information on GSA SmartPay benefits, how GSA SmartPay works, the Master Contract, key players in the purchasing process, and more. Also, check out the Acquisition Gateway's Professional Services hallway (sub-hallway: Financial Services) to review Card Services' expert articles and resources. Lastly, to stay up-to-date with tips and information, like, follow, and linkup with GSA SmartPay.