Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Building History
Constructed between 1959 and 1961, the building was originally known as FOB 6. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare (HEW) were the first federal tenants, during important years in the development of both agencies. The headquarters of the new U.S. Department of Education was located in the building in 1979.
Design & Construction
The Lyndon Baines Johnson Building was the first example of the federal government’s long-reaching efforts to expand the location and construction of federal office buildings in Washington after World War II. Federal office buildings were already present in Southwest Washington by the time FOB 6 was constructed. But the blocks on which FOB 6 and the majority of new office buildings were constructed in areas which had been recently occupied by residential and small commercial buildings.
Designed by firms Faulkner, Kinsbury & Stenhouse and Chatelain, Gauger & Nolan, the building is an excellent example of the International Style of Modernism. The building’s setting, including its plaza, was designed by the landscape architecture firm of Collins, Simonds & Simonds to be integral to the building.
Lyndon Baines Johnson
In March 2007, President George W. Bush signed legislation naming the U.S. Department of Education building as the Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Building. President Lyndon Baines Johnson, often referred to as the ‘teacher who became President’ served his country in numerous, distinguished ways, including as Lt. Commander in the U.S. Navy during World War II, as a Member of both house of Congress, as Vice President of the United States and as the 36th President of the United States.