The Data Center Optimization Initiative (DCOI) policy is the next step in the evolution of federal data centers following the Federal Data Center Consolidation Initiative (FDCCI) launched by OMB in 2010.
Federal Information Technology Acquisition Reform Act (FITARA)
In December 2014, the President signed into law the Federal Information Technology Acquisition Reform Act (FITARA) which:
- Codified the data center initiative into law.
- Challenges federal agencies to focus on both consolidation, and optimization.
- Requires the Office of the Federal Chief Information Officer (OFCIO) to provide public updates on cumulative progress, and establish and publish cost savings and optimization improvements.
Data Center Optimization Initiative (DCOI)
To meet FITARA requirements, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) established the DCOI policy to help federal agencies:
- Develop and report on data center strategies.
- Transition to more efficient infrastructure, such as cloud services and inter-agency shared services.
- Leverage technology advancements to optimize infrastructure.
- Provide quality services for the public good.
Green IT Executive Order
In March 2015, The White House issued the Green IT Executive Order (13693). The Executive Order requires agencies to increase efficiency and improve their environmental performance to save taxpayer dollars through avoided energy costs and making federal facilities more resilient.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.