GSA Announces Cost-Saving Shared Services Vision
December 7, 2016
WASHINGTON, D.C – Today the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) announced an innovative new vision for administrative mission support services that eliminates redundancy, reduces risk, and leverages government’s buying power to deliver administrative services that create a more effective government.
The GSA office of Unified Shared Services Management (USSM) has worked with the Shared Service Governance Board, providers, and customers to craft a 10-year vision for service delivery of administrative functions that moves government towards realizing the full benefits of shared services by:
- Driving the federal enterprise to standard business requirements. Common agreement on business processes and business capabilities will enable true standardization of technology, will limit costly customizations, and will allow the government to realize the benefits of economies of scale.
- Enabling subscription technology services, such as Software as a Service (SaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) that act as a utility; the government will pay only for what it uses and reduce costs from lengthy IT implementations and periodic upgrades and patches.
- Creating a balanced marketplace of federal and commercial providers that includes both transaction processing services and technology services.
- Leveraging economies of skill, or the expertise of people in much-needed HR, accounting, and acquisition roles, so that agencies can more strategically use the resources they have to be analytical and add more value back to mission.
- Enabling the exploration of new funding models to change how investments are made and migrations are funded through harnessing the capital and innovation of the private sector.
The mission of U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) is to deliver the best value in real estate, acquisition and technology services to government and the American people. As the real estate and procurement arm of the federal government, GSA is a driver of innovation, technology, sustainability and economic development in cities and communities across the nation.
Join the conversation online @USGSA #EconomicCatalyst #SharedServices