Belle Mead, Former Army Depot, Remediation Project
Current Remediation Project
GSA completed environmental studies and is leading remediation efforts at the North Parcel of the former Belle Mead Army Depot (BMAD) located in Hillsborough, New Jersey. In accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), GSA published a notice on the Final Environmental Assessment (Final EA) and the Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) on September 22, 2016. Read More
Belle Mead's History
The U.S. Army acquired approximately 868 acres in Hillsborough, New Jersey on April 29, 1942, and established the site as a Depot. The Depot was officially activated as the Belle Mead Army Depot on August 10, 1942, and operated under the Army Supply Services Network until 1958. On July 1, 1958, approximately 800 acres were transferred to GSA’s ownership. GSA used the property for the storage and distribution of federal supplies.
The former BMAD was divided into two land parcels and purchased by two different owners: the North Parcel BMAD is owned by Hillsborough Properties, LLC, and the South Parcel BMAD is owned by the Somerset County Improvement Authority (SCIA). As part of the real property transactions, GSA conducted a series of environmental studies on the site and several Areas of Concerns (AOCs) were identified.