In commercial buildings, space heating, cooling, and ventilation account for 34 percent of energy used on site and 31 percent of primary energy use, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. The Green Proving Ground program selected multiple innovative HVAC technologies to investigate their usefulness, effectiveness, and applicability across the GSA portfolio.
Published HVAC/Energy Management Findings
The Green Proving Ground program, in association with federal laboratories, has subjected the following technologies to real-world measurement and verification in GSA buildings. Links to published results are listed below.
- 031. Variable-Speed Screw Chiller, January 2017*
- 029. Smart Ceiling Fans White Paper, September 2016
- 020. Wireless Pneumatic Thermostats, March 2015*
- 013. Multistaged Indirect Evaporative Cooler, March 2014
- 012. Synchronous and Cogged Fan Belts, March 2014*
- 009. Variable Speed Mag-Lev Chiller, December 2013*
- 006. Variable Refrigerant Flow, December 2012
- 004. Condensing Boilers, Updated July 2014*
*M&V Results Demonstrate Broad Deployment Potential for GSA