The following questions and answers are posted as an update to the Volpe Center project. For more information on the City of Cambridge's progress with zoning and planning efforts, please visit the City of Cambridge's Community Development Department website.
- Will the Government consider an exchange transaction structure for this project where the Government holds a leasehold interest in the New Facility?
- Will the Government consider an exchange transaction structure that requires renovation services of the existing Volpe Center facility?
- Will a New Facility constructed on Government owned land be subject to local zoning requirements?
- In the contemplated exchange transaction for this project, will the Government retain some control over the land that the Government no longer needs that is conveyed out of federal ownership?
- Will the Government require that construction of the New Facility be subject to certain labor and/or procurement requirements?
- Has the Government performed environmental testing?
- Will the Government conduct a title review of the property?
- What are the parking and setback requirements for a New Facility?
- How will the Government be involved in the design review and construction oversight of the New Facility?
- When does the Government anticipate issuing a solicitation for this project?
Any exchange transaction for this project will require the Government to be the fee title holder of the land on which a New Facility is situated.
Any exchange transaction for this project will require construction of a New Facility.
Any New Facility constructed on Government owned land will enjoy the same sovereignty that the Government has with the current property.
At such time that land is conveyed out of federal ownership, the Government will no longer have any control over the same. It becomes subject to local jurisdiction, however, including local zoning laws and regulations..
Any solicitation issued for this project will incorporate any required labor and procurement standards that must be met by the exchange partner and/or the exchange partner’s team members.
DOT prepared a Phase I Environmental Site Assessment in December 2013, which is posted to www.gsa.gov/volpecenter. Any further environmental due diligence information that DOT has in its records or any further characterization that will be conducted by the Government in the future will be provided in connection with any future solicitation.
The Government will review title for the property and provide information as it becomes available.
The Government recognizes that any solicitation that is issued will incorporate this information.
Any solicitation that is issued will clearly state the level and extent of Government oversight and approval in both the interior and exterior design processes as well as construction oversight of the New Facility.
The Government anticipates issuing a solicitation in mid-2015.