Amtrak offers government employees discounted fares on rail travel within the Northeast Corridor. You can travel between 70+ stations using the Northeast Regional and Keystone Service. Amtrak continues to offer discounted government fares on select Acela Express trains in the Northeast Corridor.
NEW – Government Business Travel Just Got Easier!
Your reservation, when booked through approved channels (CWTSatoTravel, Concur, or your agency’s TMC), is now fully refundable if cancelled prior to departure. If needed, you can cancel your reservation through Amtrak.com (nongovernment website). Amtrak Mobile App, by calling Amtrak, or with an Amtrak Station Agent. No-shows/no-cancellation will be forfeited.
Rail Travel FAQs
- What’s different in the new program?
- How do I book these fares?
- How do Amtrak fares work?
- What if I have to make a change while traveling?
- What if my trip gets cancelled, can I get a refund?
- Why should I choose Amtrak for my travel?
1. What’s different in the new program?
For the first time, Amtrak is providing a discount to government business travelers for the Northeast Corridor Regional train service. Amtrak will offer this while continuing to provide government fares on select Acela routes in the Northeast Corridor. This expansion now includes more than 70 stations on Acela, Northeast Regional, and Amtrak Keystone services.
Back to Top
2. How do I book these fares?
Your agency’s authorized Travel Management Company (TMC) are provided a corporate account number that is used to activate the discounted government travel fare. The corporate account number can only be applied by TMCs, or via your agencies booking tool provided through CWTSato or Concur. Contact your travel office for details. Note: The discounted fares are not available through the following channels: Amtrak Contact Center, Amtrak.com, Amtrak Mobile, Quik-Trak or Amtrak Ticket Offices.
3. How do Amtrak fares work?
GSA does not set Amtrak fares. Using the approved government booking channels (CWTSato, Concur, or your TMC) the corporate ID number will be applied to your reservation inquiry. This guarantees that the government rate or better will be returned to you. Amtrak may offer special fares from time to time that are lower than government fare plans. If that is the case our system will always return to you the lowest available fare based on the rules your agency has set for refunds and other conditions.
Back to Top
4. What if I have to make a change while traveling?
Changes to travel within an existing reservation created via an approved channel are available via Amtrak Contact Center 1(800) USA-RAIL and Amtrak Ticket Offices. New reservations must be made via the approved booking channels.
5. What if my trip gets cancelled, can I get a refund?
Tickets sold as a government travel fare are fully refundable up to 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure from the origin. A 10 percent fee will be incurred if refunded in less than 24 hours from scheduled departure. If ticket is not cancelled before the scheduled departure resulting in a “no show”, the entire amount is forfeited and cannot be applied toward future travel.
6. Why should I choose Amtrak for my travel?
- Free Wi-Fi in the Northeast Corridor trains;
- Electrical outlets at each seat allow you to work or relax;
- Freedom of movement while traveling;
- Lounge cars;
- City center to city center service in most areas – you can avoid the hassle, time and expense of parking and finding next step transportation to your destination;
- Amtrak offers quiet cars on each Northeast Corridor train; and,
- More seat, and leg room.