Design and Construction
Design and Construction Responsibilities:
- Represent the fiscal interests for GSA on issues concerning codes and standards.
- Achieve an acceptable level of safety by developing and consulting on GSA’s fire protection engineering policy and practices related to new construction and building renovation projects.
- Develop Fire Protection research initiatives to minimize safety risks and to ensure state-of-the-art, cost-effective fire protection and life safety features in our buildings.
- Liaison with public- and private-sector associations (e.g., AIA, BOMA, Federal Fire Forum, etc.) to address similar code and safety issues that impact all parties to achieve an acceptable level of safety at best value.
- Provide technical advice to project manager teams involved in new construction and renovation projects to manage risk appropriately.
- Ensure that consistent and appropriate fire protection requirements are included in all design guides and related policies to support mission continuity, etc.
- Develop and promote GSA policy, business practices, guides and regulations to positively affect GSA building construction and renovation projects.
- Develop a “knowledge center” for codes and standards to maximize limited resources.
Fire Protection and Life Safety design and construction criteria can be found in GSA's Facilities Standards P-100.