About the Lafayette Building

Constructed in 1940 to serve as the headquarters of the Federal Loan Agency and its most important component, the Reconstruction Finance Corporation (RFC), the Lafayette Building originally housed agencies integral to financing and wartime mobilization of American industry. Designed in the stripped classical style typical of war-era federal buildings in nation's capital, the Lafayette building was added to the National Register of Historic Places and listed as a National Historic Landmark in September 2005.

The current tenants are the Export-Import Bank of the United States (EXIM Bank) and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Last Reviewed: 2018-03-06