Discover architecturally and historically significant buildings located throughout the country. Up to five buildings are featured for each state; to search the entire inventory, go to Find a Building. To begin, click on any state in the map below.
The only major building constructed in downtown Huntsville during the Great Depression, the Neoclassical structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Downtown Huntsville Multiple Resource Area.
The present building was constructed in 1936, less than thirty feet behind the 1889 federal building, which housed the federal government operations and post office. Workers moved between the two buildings before the 1889 building was demolished.
The building masterfully melds two distinct architectural styles -- Classical Revival and Spanish Colonial Revival -- in a public building that speaks to San Diego's Hispanic heritage and its American ambitions.
Originally built as a hotel during the late stages of Pasadena's great resort hotel age, the main building was constructed in two sections: the two-story north wing, in 1920, and the six-story bell tower with flanking wings, in 1930.
The U.S. Courthouse has been the venue for a number of notable court cases, the site for the House Un-American Activities Committee's 1947 meeting on suspected Hollywood communists, and the 1973 "Pentagon Papers" trial.
With its monumental presence and dramatic public spaces, the Byron R. White U.S. Courthouse is an excellent example of the Neoclassical architecture that dominated federal building design at the turn of the twentieth century.
Local and state officials insisted on using local materials for the construction of the building. The resulting facade was clad in Colorado Yule Marble, which was also used on the Lincoln Memorial and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, both located in Washington DC.
The William R. Cotter Federal Building is an excellent example of Neoclassical architecture. Its architects adopted traditional classical architectural forms while abandoning excessive interior ornament in favor of Art Deco's more stylized decorative components.
In 1921-1922, the building was the locus of the "Teapot Dome" scandal involving Secretary of the Interior Albert Fall. Fall was convicted and imprisoned for accepting $400,000 in bribes from two oil magnates in return for secretly granting them rights to drill for oil on federal lands.
Upon completion in 1888, it was the largest office building in Washington. The interior has ceilings eighteen feet high, the granite walls are nearly four feet thick, and there are nearly two miles of corridors inside the building.
The Ditchley Foundation of Great Britain presented a set of English change ringing bells to the U.S. Congress as a symbol of friendship honor of America's bicentennial. The bells were permanently placed in the Old Post Office clock tower in 1983, and are rung at the opening and closing of Congress and for national holidays.
The monumental Pension Building is massive in size and scale. The interior is dominated by a full-height atrium at the center, where twelve presidential inaugural balls have been held since the building was constructed in 1882.
The eight murals on the north wall of the main (original postal) lobby were completed in 1939 and depict the history of Florida. Artist Eduard Buk Ulreich was selected through a competition held by the WPA to provide work for artists.
The building was located across the street of the former Terminal Station, demonstrating the U.S. Post Office's dependence on railroads for mail service before the rise of airmail and long-range truck routing.
The courthouse has been the site of several important cases. In 2000, the Elian Gonzalez deportation litigation and several lawsuits involving the presidential election of George Bush and Al Gore were argued in the courthouse.
The building was named for Judge Bootle, was responsible for several landmark civil rights rulings in the state from 1961-1970. He ordered the desegregation of the University of Georgia, the Macon bus system, and Bibb County public schools.
The construction drawings were completed in 1928, and the cornerstone laid 12 days before the stock market crash in 1929. The building was completed after the beginning of the Great Depression, and before the construction projects of the New Deal.
An open competition was held to select the design for the federal building, and the winners were John Hall Rankin and Thomas Kellogg, noted Philadelphia architects who created a massive Beaux Arts building.
The building's two story postal lobby with barrel-vaulted ceiling, marble trim, and polished brass is located in the first floor, and remains intact despite the fact the post office vacated the building in 1983.
When the foundation for the building was excavated by a steam shovel, unemployed workers protested in favor of the more traditional, labor-intensive method of using men with hand tools and horse-drawn equipment. But technology prevailed.
The elliptically shaped court room contains most of its original furnishings, and was the site of the famous 1938 Harlan County Conspiracy Cases Trial. This trial was the first attempt in the courts to establish a precedent of punitive penalties under the 1935 Wagner Act.
The building has two ornamental, oval-shaped entry lobbies, one at each of the southeast and southwest entries. There is a grand staircase in the southeast entry lobby and passenger elevators with original doors in the southwest lobby.
The building was among the first recipients of artwork commissioned by the Treasury Relief Art Project, a program under the Public Works Act that employed painters and sculptors to incorporate art within federal buildings.
This monumental granite building was begun in 1848 and built over a period of 33 years. The grand Marble Hall in the center of the building is one of the finest Greek Revival interiors in the United States.
The U.S. Custom House is the best remaining example of the work of Alfred B. Mullett, Supervising Architect of the Treasury from 1865 to 1874, in the state of Maine and continues to serve its original function.
The first federal courthouse in Maine, the building was designed in a trapezoidal shape, with an interior courtyard to be constructed in two phases. The first phase was finished in 1911, and the second in 1932.
Less than a year into its construction phase, a catastrophic fire swept through downtown Baltimore. Over 1,500 buildings were destroyed, and although Custom House suffered major damage, the building was completed in 1907.
The building's high-style portico, which is characteristic of the Greek Revival style, contains four slightly tapered Doric columns each consisting of four pieces of stone. The columns are twenty-five feet in height and two feet three inches in diameter.
The building features several ornamental bas-relief sculptural groupings executed by noted Detroit architectural modeler, Corrado Joseph Parducci. The sculptural panels and medallions depict various agencies and activities of the federal government.
The building was constructed in two major phases: 1873-1877 for the original Greek Revival structure, and a one-story 5000 square foot addition in 1933. Subsequent renovations occurred in 1960 on the interior and a 1987 exterior restoration.
Duluth became the railhead for the first transcontinental railway, and the nation's fifth busiest seaport by the end of the 19th century. Due to innovative plans for Duluth's downtown, a new federal building was designed in the Renaissance Revival style and constructed in 1929.
The building, which has served as the headquarters for the Northern Region of the U.S. Forest Service since 1914, was the location of the investigation into the tragic 1949 fire at Mann Gulch in the Helena National Forest that killed 13 firefighters.
Terra cotta relief panels are used on the facade to separate the first and second floors. The panels, which can be found on all four sides of the building, contain alternating images of rosettes, acanthus leaves, shield motifs.
Built in 1908, it is Albuquerque's oldest remaining federal building. It needed two additions in order to keep up with the growing demands on government services, one constructed in 1923 and the other constructed in 1932.
This 1892 Romanesque Revival style building contains strong, simple forms with powerful arches dominating the first story. Elaborate dormers, iron roof cresting, steeply pitched roofs, and a tower constructed in 1933 give the building a picturesque quality.
This 1919 Neoclassical building was originally called the Customs House, Appraisers Store and Courthouse. The massive structure covers an entire city block and occupies 330 feet of waterfront property on the Cape Fear River.
After outgrowing the 1874 Federal Building, a new post office and courthouse was constructed. It was technically a smaller building, but had more than double the working space due to the fact that it was four stories taller than the previous structure, but the same overall height.
The building differs from other buildings designed by James K. Taylor's office in that it has a distinct Neoclassical styling and composition, whereas most of the other buildings were usually Second Renaissance or Beaux Arts styles.
The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse is part of a federal complex that included another courthouse and the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. In April 1995, a terrorist bomb destroyed the Murrah building.
Construction of the building required relocating railroad tracks and bridging the Providence River. It was hailed as one of the finest federal buildings outside Washington, D.C., upon its completion in 1908.
This building is situated at "Four Corners of the Law" in downtown Charleston. On each corner of an intersection is an important building representing county law, local city law, religious law, and federal law.
The building is a notable example of the Art Moderne style, and in 1938 was recognized by the American Institute of Architects as one of the 150 finest buildings constructed in the previous twenty years in the United States.
The building officially opened in 1937 and at that time, the first floor and basement were air-conditioned. This was a new technology that had not been installed in the any other post office in the country at this time.
This design of the building consists of a 10-story office base and a 19-story office tower rising on the front (north) side. In 1978, floors 11 through 19 in the tower were gutted and are currently unoccupied and used for storage.
This building was one of the first buildings in the nation to be funded by the Works Projects Administration (WPA), a government program designed to stimulate the nation's economy during the Depression.
In 1987, Congress authorized GSA to lease Tacoma Union Station for 35 years. A major railway station which had fallen into disrepair, the building was renovated and restored to house federal courts. A three-story addition added eight more courtrooms to the building.
The site for the new building was occupied by a "squatter" so the citizens of Port Angeles pooled their efforts and constructed a new residence for the squatter, who then vacated the site and gave up all claim to it.
Within a few years of its construction, the population of Huntington tripled, and the building became too small. Two additions, one in 1915 and one in 1935, increased the size of the building and solved the spatial issues.
Traveler reimbursement is based on the location of the work activities and not the accommodations, unless lodging is not available at the work activity, then the agency may authorize the rate where lodging is obtained.
Unless otherwise specified, the per diem locality is defined as "all locations within, or entirely surrounded by, the corporate limits of the key city, including independent entities located within those boundaries."
Per diem localities with county definitions shall include"all locations within, or entirely surrounded by, the corporate limits of the key city as well as the boundaries of the listed counties, including independent entities located within the boundaries of the key city and the listed counties (unless otherwise listed separately)."
When a military installation or Government - related facility(whether or not specifically named) is located partially within more than one city or county boundary, the applicable per diem rate for the entire installation or facility is the higher of the rates which apply to the cities and / or counties, even though part(s) of such activities may be located outside the defined per diem locality.