770 Muddy Branch Road
Prime Development Site
The 13.71-acre development site is located in the highly desirable Gaithersburg market of Montgomery County, adjacent to shopping, housing, schools and recreational amenities. Access to major roads and employment centers including the 1-270 Life Sciences corridor is unparalleled.
- The site has extensive frontage along Muddy Branch Road, a major north-south route in the northern part of Montgomery County. I-270, I-370 and the Intercounty Connector are less than 2 miles from the site.
- Immediate neighbors include Muddy Branch Square, a 110,000 square foot Giant Food anchored shopping center which abuts the site to the south, Lakelands Ridge to the southwest and Timberbrook, a garden style condominium community located immediately north of the site.
- Montgomery County has 1.06 million residents and is ranked among the most affluent and highly educated populations in the country. With an extensive public sector employment base, including the National Institutes of Health, National Institute for Standards and Technology, the Federal Drug Administration and Department of Energy, Montgomery County enjoys a healthy mix of public and private sector employment.
- An area of exceptionally strong private sector employment in Montgomery County is biotechnology, and the life sciences industry has exploded in funding and development activity over the last few years. With dozens of biotechnology companies including GlaxoSmithKline, Novavax, Emergent BioSolutions and AstraZeneca all located along the I-270 corridor, and dozens of other Contract Research Organizations (CROs) also located nearby, this area is poised for continued expansion.
Excellent Development Potential
The lack of large development sites and flexible MXD zoning in the City of Gaithersburg creates an excellent opportunity for homebuilders and developers.
- The City of Gaithersburg promotes mixed use development through the MXD zone, which is the current zoning for the subject property. Several large and notable mixed-use projects in Gaithersburg include The Kentlands, Lakelands, Washingtonian Center and Crown. All of these communities feature a neotraditional, pedestrian friendly approach to development, integrating retail, commercial and residential uses. Crown, a 180 acre urban master planned community is a recent MXD development in Gaithersburg and located less than a mile from the subject site.
- The property is currently vacant, allowing for immediate implementation of redevelopment plans following approvals through the City of Gaithersburg.
- A lack of development lots and extraordinary demand for all types of housing creates an excellent opportunity for homebuilders and developers. The MXD zoning provides for flexibility in the mix of uses, density and layout.
(Reasonable efforts have been made to ensure all relevant documents are accessible. If you have an accessibility issue, please contact Tim Sheckler for assistance.)
Bidding Process and Timeline
The property will be sold via on-line auction, and information on that process can be found on the website.
- The auction process allows for interested parties to bid on and potentially acquire the property in a transparent, expedited process. Unlike traditional property sales where the price and terms of competing offers are unknown, GSA’s online auction provides interested groups with a high level of control over the bidding process.
- Bidders are required to post a $500,000 deposit and the minimum bid for the property is $2,000,000.
- The property is being sold AS-IS, WHERE-IS. GSA has provided numerous due diligence documents on the property for review by potential bidders. The documents can be viewed in the Relevant Documents section below.