Selling to the Federal Government: First Steps

There are a few required first steps to get you started contracting with the government. In most cases it will be preferred that you have done some commercial work with positive references before you can respond to your first request. Below are the initial steps for all vendors working with GSA.


Identify and keep a record of your North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) code which will be used to communicate your industry and find opportunities through various resources.

DUNS Number

Obtain a Data Universal Numbering System or DUNS, number. The DUNS Number is assigned by Dun & Bradstreet, Inc. (D&B) to identify unique business entities and will need to be submitted through various request.

SAM Registration

Obtain this unique DUNS number before registering with the System for Award Management (SAM). SAM is the primary registrant database for the U.S. Federal Government. Your business must be registered in SAM prior to the award of a contract, basic agreement, basic ordering agreement, or blanket purchase agreement. Both the NAICS and DUNS may be requested during your registration process.

Once you've registered your small business, be sure to visit for training, resources and more information.

We look forward to working with you!

print Share Icon Last Reviewed: 2019-04-04