Selected Reading On Metal Coatings
- Procedure code:
- Preservation Technology Source Book
- Metal Coatings
- Last Modified:
Technical Procedures Disclaimer
Prior to inclusion in GSA’s library of procedures, documents are reviewed by one or more qualified preservation specialists for general consistency with the Secretary of Interior Standards for rehabilitating historic buildings as understood at the time the procedure is added to the library. All specifications require project-specific editing and professional judgement regarding the applicability of a procedure to a particular building, project or location. References to products and suppliers are to serve as a general guideline and do not constitute a federal endorsement or determination that a product or method is the best or most current alternative, remains available, or is compliant with current environmental regulations and safety standards. The library of procedures is intended to serve as a resource, not a substitute, for specification development by a qualified preservation professional.
We’ve reviewed these procedures for general consistency with federal standards for rehabilitating historic buildings and provide them only as a reference. Specifications should only be applied under the guidance of a qualified preservation professional who can assess the applicability of a procedure to a particular building, project or location. References to products and suppliers serve as general guidelines and do not constitute a federal endorsement nor a determination that a product or method is the best alternative or compliant with current environmental regulations and safety standards.
This standard includes a listing of some known sources that may be referenced for additional information on specific issues relating to this subject.
- Jones, Larry. "Painting Galvanized Metal." The Old-House Journal, January/February 1984, pp. 10-11.
- Technical Staff, OHJ. "Maintaining and Repairing Architectural Iron." The Old-House Journal, January/February 1990, pp. 22-27.
- Waite, John G. "The Maintenance and Repair of Architectural Cast Iron." Preservation Briefs #27. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of the Interior, 1979.
- Zirkle, John F. "Refinishing Clinic... Painting Galvanized Metal; A Whitewash Formula; Preserving An Unpainted Fence; Correcting a Water Stain." The Old-House Journal, September 1979, p.107
- Ashurst, John & Nicola. Practical Building Conservation. Vol. 4: Metals. New York: Halsted Press, 1988.
- Gayle, Margot, David W. Look, and John G. Waite. Metals in America's Historic Buildings. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of the Interior, 1980, rev. 1992.
- Weaver, Martin E., with F. G. Matero. Conserving Buildings: Guide to Techniques and Materials. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1993.
- Weismantel, Guy E., ed. Paint Handbook. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1981.
- Bleekman, III, George M., et. al. "Twentieth Century Building Materials: 1900-1950: An Annotated Bibliography." Washington, D.C.: Preservation Assistance Division, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior; and, Murfreesboro, TN: Middle Tennessee State University, 1993.