Selected Reading On Rough Carpentry
- Procedure code:
- Preservation Technology Source Book
- Wood and Plastics
- Rough Carpentry
- Last Modified:
Technical Procedures Disclaimer
Prior to inclusion in GSA’s library of procedures, documents are reviewed by one or more qualified preservation specialists for general consistency with the Secretary of Interior Standards for rehabilitating historic buildings as understood at the time the procedure is added to the library. All specifications require project-specific editing and professional judgement regarding the applicability of a procedure to a particular building, project or location. References to products and suppliers are to serve as a general guideline and do not constitute a federal endorsement or determination that a product or method is the best or most current alternative, remains available, or is compliant with current environmental regulations and safety standards. The library of procedures is intended to serve as a resource, not a substitute, for specification development by a qualified preservation professional.
We’ve reviewed these procedures for general consistency with federal standards for rehabilitating historic buildings and provide them only as a reference. Specifications should only be applied under the guidance of a qualified preservation professional who can assess the applicability of a procedure to a particular building, project or location. References to products and suppliers serve as general guidelines and do not constitute a federal endorsement nor a determination that a product or method is the best alternative or compliant with current environmental regulations and safety standards.
This standard includes a listing of some known sources that may be referenced for additional information on specific issues relating to this subject.
- Eisenberg, Donna T. "Identifying Wood Rot." Building Renovation, November/December 1993, pp. 35-39.
- Jowers, Walter, and Johathan Poore. "Beam Repair Basics." The Old-House Journal, October 1984, pp. 175-178.
- Poore, Jonathan. "Wood Splice Joints." The Old-House Journal, April 1980, p. 47.
- ________. "Gutter Expansion Joint For Metal Lining in Built-In Wood Gutter." The
Old-House Journal, June 1980, p. 71.
- Poore, Patricia. "Fixing Old Floors: Construction Types and Sub-Floor Repairs." The Old-House Journal, February 1981, pp. 48-70.
- ________. "Fixing Old Floors: Repairing and Replacing Floorboards." The Old-House Journal, March 1981, pp. 61-63.
- Technical Staff, OHJ. "How to Deal With Sagging, Sloping, Squeaking Old Floors." The Old-House Journal, January 1981, pp. 7-10.
- ________. "How to Stiffin Sagging Floors." The Old-House Journal, February 1974, pp. 1, 9-11.
- Belle, John, John R. Hoke, and Stephen A. Kliment, eds. Traditional Details for Building Restoration, Renovation, and Rehabilitation; From the 1932-1951 Editions of "Architectural Graphic Standards". New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1991.
- Weaver, Martin E., with F. G. Matero. Conserving Buildings: Guide to Techniques and Materials. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1993.
- Avrami, Erica C. "Preserving Wood Features in Historic Buildings: An Annotated Bibliography." Washington, D.C.: Preservation Assistance Division, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior; and, Murfreesboro, TN: Middle Tennessee State University, m1993.
- Bleekman, III, George M., et. al. "Twentieth Century Building Materials: 1900-1950: An Annotated Bibliography." Washington, D.C.: Preservation Assistance Division, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior; and, Murfreesboro, TN: Middle Tennessee State University, 1993.