Selected Reading On General Waterproofing And Roofing
- Procedure code:
- Preservation Technology Source Book
- Thermal and Moisture Protection
- Last Modified:
Technical Procedures Disclaimer
Prior to inclusion in GSA’s library of procedures, documents are reviewed by one or more qualified preservation specialists for general consistency with the Secretary of Interior Standards for rehabilitating historic buildings as understood at the time the procedure is added to the library. All specifications require project-specific editing and professional judgement regarding the applicability of a procedure to a particular building, project or location. References to products and suppliers are to serve as a general guideline and do not constitute a federal endorsement or determination that a product or method is the best or most current alternative, remains available, or is compliant with current environmental regulations and safety standards. The library of procedures is intended to serve as a resource, not a substitute, for specification development by a qualified preservation professional.
We’ve reviewed these procedures for general consistency with federal standards for rehabilitating historic buildings and provide them only as a reference. Specifications should only be applied under the guidance of a qualified preservation professional who can assess the applicability of a procedure to a particular building, project or location. References to products and suppliers serve as general guidelines and do not constitute a federal endorsement nor a determination that a product or method is the best alternative or compliant with current environmental regulations and safety standards.
This standard includes a listing of some known sources that may be referenced for additional information on specific issues relating to this subject.
- Bucher, Wm. Ward. "Drying-In and Drying-Out; Flood-Damage Lessons From Hurricane Hugo." The Old-House Journal, March/April 1991, pp. 40-43.
- Byrne, Richard. "On the Roof - How to Inspect and MaintainIt." Canadian Heritage, February 1982, pp. 38-40.
- Gibson, D. Jameson Jr. "Waterproofing Historic Foundations." The Old-House Journal, May/June 1992, pp. 41-45.
- Jones, Larry. "Dry Up Your Wet Basement." The Old-House Journal, August/September 1984, pp. 150-151.
- Labine, Clem. "Roofing: Repair Or Replace?" The Old-House Journal, February 1981, pp. 29-32.
- ________. "Elegant Roofing." Traditional Building, May/June 1993, Vol.6, No. 3, pp. 39-53.
- ________. "Roofs with Character." Traditional Building, November/December 1989, Vol. 2, No. 6, pp. 17-20.
- ________. "How to Repair an Old Roof." The Old-House Journal, April 1983, pp. 64-69.
- Labine, Clem, and Judith Siegel Lief. "The Rise of the Ornamental Roof." Traditional Building, May/June 1992, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 35-46.
- Leeke, John. "Water in the Cellar; Where is it Coming From? How Can You Stop It? The Old-House Journal, May/June 1992, pp. 35-40.
- Schechtman, Jonathan T. "Bailing out of Wet Basements." The Old-House Journal, August 1981, pp. 169-173.
- ________. "Wet Basements." The Old-House Journal, June 1981, pp. 123, 140-143.
- Sweetser, Sarah M. "Roofing for Historic Buildings." Preservation Briefs #4. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of the Interior, 1978.
- Technical Staff, OHJ. "Maintaining Your Roof: Inspection Checklist." The Old-House Journal, April 1983, p. 72.
- Technical Staff, TB. "Sheetmetal Embellishments", and "Sheetmetal Ornament Sourcelist." Traditional Building, March/April 1993, Vol.6, No. 2, pp. 29-34.
- Addleson, Lyall. Building Failures, A Guide to Diagnosis, Remedy and Prevention. 2nd ed. London: Butterworth Architecture, 1989.
- Belle, John, John R. Hoke, and Stephen A. Kliment, eds. Traditional Details for Building Restoration, Renovation, and Rehabilitation; From the 1932-1951 Editions of "Architectural Graphic Standards". New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1991.
- Gayle, Margot, David W. Look, and John G. Waite. Metals in America's Historic Buildings. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of the Interior, 1980.
- McCampbell, B. Harrison. Problems in Roofing Design. Boston: Butterworth Architecture, 1991.
- Weaver, Martin E., with F. G. Matero. Conserving Buildings: Guide to Techniques and Materials. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1993