Selected Reading On Special Ceiling Surfaces
- Procedure code:
- Preservation Technology Source Book
- Special Ceiling Surfaces
- Last Modified:
Technical Procedures Disclaimer
Prior to inclusion in GSA’s library of procedures, documents are reviewed by one or more qualified preservation specialists for general consistency with the Secretary of Interior Standards for rehabilitating historic buildings as understood at the time the procedure is added to the library. All specifications require project-specific editing and professional judgement regarding the applicability of a procedure to a particular building, project or location. References to products and suppliers are to serve as a general guideline and do not constitute a federal endorsement or determination that a product or method is the best or most current alternative, remains available, or is compliant with current environmental regulations and safety standards. The library of procedures is intended to serve as a resource, not a substitute, for specification development by a qualified preservation professional.
We’ve reviewed these procedures for general consistency with federal standards for rehabilitating historic buildings and provide them only as a reference. Specifications should only be applied under the guidance of a qualified preservation professional who can assess the applicability of a procedure to a particular building, project or location. References to products and suppliers serve as general guidelines and do not constitute a federal endorsement nor a determination that a product or method is the best alternative or compliant with current environmental regulations and safety standards.
This standard includes a listing of some known sources that may be referenced for additional information on specific issues relating to this subject.
- Technical Staff, TB. "Special Ceilings: A Traditional Topping." Traditional Building, January/February 1994, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 61-63.
- Technical Staff, OHJ. "How to Install a Tin Ceiling." The Old-House Journal, November/December 1987, pp. 32-36.
- ________. "Installing a Tin Ceiling." The Old-House Journal, March 1979, pp. 31-33.
- Technical Staff, TB. "Sheetmetal Embellishments", and "Sheetmetal Ornament Sourcelist." Traditional Building, March/April 1993, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 29-34.
- Weber, Anne E. "Twentieth Century Interior Materials: New Wall and Ceiling Finishes." The Interior's Handbook for Historic Buildings, Vol. 2. Washington, D.C.: Historic Preservation Education Foundation, 1993, pp. 4-29 - 4-34.
Gayle, Margot, David W. Look, and John G. Waite. Metals in America's Historic Buildings. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of the Interior, 1980.