Selected Reading On Flashing And Sheetmetal
- Procedure code:
- Preservation Technology Source Book
- Thermal and Moisture Protection
- Flashing And Sheet Metal
- Last Modified:
Technical Procedures Disclaimer
Prior to inclusion in GSA’s library of procedures, documents are reviewed by one or more qualified preservation specialists for general consistency with the Secretary of Interior Standards for rehabilitating historic buildings as understood at the time the procedure is added to the library. All specifications require project-specific editing and professional judgement regarding the applicability of a procedure to a particular building, project or location. References to products and suppliers are to serve as a general guideline and do not constitute a federal endorsement or determination that a product or method is the best or most current alternative, remains available, or is compliant with current environmental regulations and safety standards. The library of procedures is intended to serve as a resource, not a substitute, for specification development by a qualified preservation professional.
We’ve reviewed these procedures for general consistency with federal standards for rehabilitating historic buildings and provide them only as a reference. Specifications should only be applied under the guidance of a qualified preservation professional who can assess the applicability of a procedure to a particular building, project or location. References to products and suppliers serve as general guidelines and do not constitute a federal endorsement nor a determination that a product or method is the best alternative or compliant with current environmental regulations and safety standards.
This standard includes a listing of some known sources that may be referenced for additional information on specific issues relating to this subject.
- Bock, Gordon. "Making Sense of Metal Roofs." The Old-House Journal, July/August 1992, pp.30-33.
- ________. "Gutter Talk." The Old-House Journal, May/June 1990, pp. 32-33.
- "Galvanic Corrosion (Electrolysis) Potential Between Common Flashing Materials and Selected Construction Materials." From Ramsey/Sleeper, Architectural Graphic Standards. 8th. Ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1988. p. 360.
- Johnson, Walker C. "Copper Dome and Cornice Restoration and Reconstruction." APT Bulletin, Vol. XXI, No. 1, 1989, pp. 37-48.
- Jowers, Walter. "Standing Seam Roofs." The Old-House Journal, March 1985, pp. 35, 44-48.
- Leeke, John. "Half-Round Metal Gutters." The Old-House Journal, July/August 1992, 34-41.
- O'Donnell, Bill. "Gutter Repairs." The Old-House Journal, March/April 1987, pp. 27-31.
- Poore, Jonathan. "Flashing a Chimney." The Old-House Journal, April 1983, pp. 70-71.
- ________. "Gutter Expansion Joint For Metal Lining in Built- In Wood Gutter." The Old-House Journal, June 1980, p. 71.
- Poore, Patricia & Jonathan. "Old Gutters." The Old-House Journal, March/April 1987, pp. 24-25.
- Sweetser, Sarah M. "Roofing for Historic Buildings." Preservation Briefs #4. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of the Interior, 1978.
- Technical Staff, OHJ. "Maintenance of Gutters (Part 1)." The Old-House Journal, October 1979, pp. 109, 116-118.
- ________. "Maintenance of Gutters (Part 2)." The Old-House Journal, November 1979, pp. 129-130.
- Technical Staff, TB. "Sheetmetal Embellishments", and "Sheetmetal Ornament Sourcelist." Traditional Building, March/April 1993, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 29-34.
- Waite, John G. "Tinplate and Terneplate Roofing, Preservation and Repair." The Old-House Journal, March 1981, pp. 53, 68-69.
- Belle, John, John R. Hoke, and Stephen A. Kliment, eds. Traditional Details for Building Restoration, Renovation, and Rehabilitation; From the 1932-1951 Editions of "Architectural Graphic Standards". New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1991.
- Gayle, Margot, David W. Look, and John G. Waite. Metals in America's Historic Buildings. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of the Interior, 1980.
- McCampbell, B. Harrison. Problems in Roofing Design. Boston, MA: Butterworth Architecture, 1991.
- Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors National Association, Inc. (SMACNA). 1929 Standard Practice Sheet Metal Work. Vienna, VA:SMACNA, 1929; reprint ed., Vienna, VA: SMACNA, 1987.
- Bleekman, III, George M., et. al. "Twentieth Century Building Materials: 1900-1950: An Annotated Bibliography." Washington, D.C.: Preservation Assistance Division, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior; and, Murfreesboro, TN: Middle Tennessee State University, 1993.