The Update to DCOI (M-19-19) [pdf] policy is the next step in the evolution of federal data centers as the successor to the initial Data Center Optimization Initiative (M-16-19) launched by OMB in 2016.
Federal Information Technology Acquisition Reform Act (FITARA)
In December 2014, the Federal Information Technology Acquisition Reform Act (FITARA) was signed into law, which:
- Codified the data center initiative into law.
- Challenges federal agencies to focus on both consolidation and optimization.
- Requires the Office of the Federal Chief Information Officer (OFCIO) to provide public updates on cumulative progress, and establish and publish cost savings and optimization improvements.
Data Center Optimization Initiative (DCOI)
To meet FITARA requirements, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) established the DCOI policy to help federal agencies:
- Develop and report on data center strategies.
- Transition to more efficient infrastructure, such as cloud services and inter-agency shared services.
- Leverage technology advancements to optimize infrastructure.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.