21st Century Integrated Digital Experience Act and GSA
The 21st Century Integrated Digital Experience Act (21st Century IDEA) provides an opportunity for all GSA organizations to work together toward a common goal: making our digital services better and more accessible to all users. The Act requires us to assess all our digital services and prioritize for usability improvements those with the highest impact. The Act builds on past legislation and policy, including M-17-06 - Policies for Federal Agency Public Websites and Digital Services, and provides a timeline for agencies to assess our current digital footprint and determine how best to modernize the digital experience for our customers.
To best serve GSA's customers, we need to ensure our sites and digital services are:
- accessible to those with disabilities
- based around user needs and tasks
- consistent in appearance
- securely hosted and connected
- original, not duplicating existing content
The GSA organizations that will oversee our agency response to the law started an implementation team to think about how each piece could be broken out into tasks for each organization. We identified several key players:
- Technology Transformation Services (TTS), who helps agencies build, buy, and share technology that allows them to better serve the public
- Office of Customer Experience (OCE), who help GSA team members keep customer experience and usability in mind
- Office of Strategic Communication (OSC), who set and apply internal quality standards for GSA websites
- Office of Governmentwide Policy (OGP), who help us determine how to comply with policy requirements
- Office of the Chief Information Officer (GSA IT), who run the back-end systems that host our digital services
The multi-disciplinary team will guide GSA as we inventory and assess our digital services, taking a hard look at each one to determine whether they still serve us and our customers. We're learning as we go, and look forward to collaborating with our agency partners to improve digital experience across government.