How GSA Employees Obtain a GSA Access Card

HSPD Same ID CardThe GSA access card serves as the identity badge for GSA employees and contractors. It uses smart card technology to provide reliable and secure identity verification.

GSA employees and contractors are required to use their access card, along with a personal identification number (PIN), to log into their computer and GSA networks providing more secure and user-friendly access to information.

  1. Provide information required for sponsorship

    Provide the information requested by your human resource officer for sponsorship. If you have any questions, contact your HRO who is assisting you in the on-boarding process.

  2. Schedule an enrollment appointment

    Once sponsorship is complete, you will receive an e-mail from to schedule an enrollment appointment or to inform you that enrollment is not required if you had enrolled with a previous agency. Follow the instructions to create a user account on the USAccess scheduling website and schedule an appointment at an enrollment center. Contact your HRO if you have any problem scheduling an enrollment appointment.

  3. Complete enrollment

    Bring two forms of acceptable identification [PDF] to the enrollment appointment. The Registrar at the enrollment station will take your photograph and electronic fingerprints. Contact your HRO to confirm that you have completed enrollment. Reach out to your HRO if you have any problem completing enrollment.

  4. Pick up and activate your GSA access card

    Follow the instructions in the email from your HRO or USAccess to pick up and activate your GSA access card. Bring two forms of acceptable identification [PDF] when you pick up your card. After activating your access card, you must connect your computer directly to the GSA network and perform a system reboot before using virtual private network (VPN) remote access.

    If you picked up and activated a replacement access card or updated the certificates on your access card:

    • After activating your replacement card or updating your card certificates, you must connect your computer from a GSA office directly to the GSA network and reboot your computer before gaining Virtual Private Network (VPN) remote access. Your new or updated card will not work with VPN unless you do this.
    • If you use your access card to log on to a GSA IT application, you may continue to use your current card to log on to the application while your replacement card is produced. However, after you pick-up and activate your replacement card, it may take up to one hour before you can log on to the application with your new GSA access card. Similarly, it may take up to one hour before you can log on to the application with your GSA access card after you’ve updated your card certificates.

Returning your GSA access card

When their employment in concluded, GSA employees should return their access cards to their supervisors.

GSA issues personal identify verification (PIV) cards to contractors and employees that require routine access to GSA facilities and IT resources. PIV cards are also known as GSA access cards. GSA access cards must be promptly returned when they are no longer needed. The prompt return is essential to maintaining GSA building security and access to IT resources.


If you have questions, you can ask either of the following:

  • Your human resource official (HRO)
  • The Office of Mission Assurance (OMA) HSPD-12 Branch at

If you lose your card

Immediately notify:

  • Your supervisor
  • The security office
  • The GSA IT Service Desk

Immediately contact the GSA IT Service Desk at 866-450-5250 to complete a security incident report if you have been provided a government furnished laptop. You will also need to notify your supervisor and security office, as they will notify the appropriate people for a replacement card. They will provide you with the Lost or Stolen GSA Access Card Replacement Request form to be signed by your supervisor, notify the appropriate people for a replacement card, and order a replacement card. You will NOT need to go through the enrollment process again to receive an updated card. Until you receive your replacement card, you will follow the local visitor access policy to enter agency buildings.

The OMA HSPD-12 Branch will be notified by your POC to terminate your lost card to prevent others from using it. No one can access your limited encrypted information on the card after it is terminated.

Last Reviewed: 2022-12-02