Non-ozone Depleting Substances
Non-ozone depleting substances (ODS) do not deplete the earth’s protective ozone layer. Products that normally contain ozone depleting substances should be replaced with functionally similar products that contain non-ozone depleting substances.
Requirements and Policy
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) established standards regarding the use and disposal of ODS under the authority of Section 602(a) of the Clean Air Act.
Federal Acquisition Regulation
- FAR 23.803 requires agencies to minimize procurement of ODS and to give preference to suitable, safe alternatives, including those identified under the SNAP program and
- FAR 23.804 requires the insertion of contract clauses regarding ODS in solicitations for various product and service contracts.
Executive Order 13834 Efficient Federal Operations requires that agencies acquire, use, and dispose of products and services in accordance with statutory mandates for purchasing preference, FAR requirements, and other applicable Federal procurement policies. In accordance with 42 U.S.C. § 7671K and 7671L, agency procurement practices must maximize substitution of alternatives to ozone-depleting substances, identified under EPA’s SNAP program.
Find and Purchase
The EPA created the SNAP program to evaluate and regulate substitutes for ozone-depleting chemicals being phased out under the stratospheric ozone protection provisions of the Clean Air Act. SNAP has listed substitutes for certain product categories. Non-compliant options also remain available for purchase, so remember to make sure to request a non-ODS alternative when ordering. The category list below links to the EPA's List of Substitutes:
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning;
- Foam Blowing Agents;
- Cleaning Solvents;
- Fire Suppression and Explosion Protection;
- Aerosols, Solvents, and Propellants;
- Tobacco Expansion; and
- Adhesives, Coatings and Inks.
Products made of acceptable SNAP alternatives to ODS are available for purchase through the GSA Multiple Award Schedule and other government-wide contract vehicles at GSA Advantage!® and GSA Global Supply™.