Federal Aviation Safety Officer (ASO) Training
ICAP Federal Aviation Safety Officer Corp
Applicants must be serving in a Federal Aviation Safety Officer position, to include members of the Armed Forces. To qualify for the initial ICAP Federal Aviation Safety Officer Certificate the applicant must complete a certified ASO course such as the USC Safety & Security Course, TSI ASO Course, Embry Riddle ASO Course or one of the Armed Forces ASO courses. The other option is to provide college transcripts that show that the applicant has completed the required Aviation Safety Officer courses. The five basic courses are as follows:
- Basic Aviation Accident Investigation
- Human Factors
- Aviation Risk Management
- Aviation Safety Program Management/SMS
- Legal Aspects of Aviation
The renewal application is required every two years.
- To renew the ICAP Federal ASO certificate the applicant must complete 16 hours of CE required every 24 months and submit the renewal application. The renewal application will require that you document 16 hours of Aviation Safety Training. We will accept 4 hours of classes that you teach in the field. We would prefer the other 12 hours be from an outside source to include online training. We encourage ASOs to attend the annual ICAP ASO workshop that we conduct every January. ASOs can send the completed renewal applications to email@example.com . For those that attend the ICAP ASO Workshop, the Office of Aviation Policy will automatically update their ICAP ASO certificate and mail an updated certificate.
- The ASO Workshop is NOT and ASO certification course. The ASO Workshop is Continuing Education (CE) .
Initial ASO Application [PDF - 191 KB] (PDF Document)
Please download and complete the ICAP Federal Aviation Safety Officer application and mail the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Renewal ASO Application [PDF - 200 KB] (PDF Document)
Please download and complete the ICAP Federal Aviation Safety Officer renewal application and mail the completed application to email@example.com
- Application must be received from a .gov or .mil address.
- Please provide a mailing address where you would like to receive the hard copy of your ICAP ASO Certificate. We cannot mail to an APO or PO Box.
The ICAP Federal Aviation Safety Officer Workshop
The 2023 ICAP Federal Aviation Safety Officer Workshop is currently in the planning phase. It is tentatively scheduled for the week of January 9, 2023. The ICAP Federal Aviation Safety Officer Workshop is restricted to Federal employees to include member of the Armed Forces. We will be posting the registration form in the very near future.