Joseph C. O'Mahoney Federal Center, Cheyenne, WY
Location: 2120 Capitol Ave, Cheyenne, WY 82001
The city of Cheyenne was platted in July 1867 and was originally in what was called the Dakota Territory, and later the Wyoming Territory. It was named Cheyenne after the Native American Cheyenne nation. The first charter for the government of the City of Cheyenne was established on August 8, 1876, and the next month a mayor was elected. A Federal Building was constructed in Cheyenne in 1932 and by the 1960s, the federal agencies had outgrown the available space in the Federal Building so a new facility was needed. Funds were gathered and the planning and design of the Post Office & Court House (later named the Joseph C. O’Mahoney Federal Center) began. Two architecture firms, Porter & Porter and J.T. Banner & Associates, Inc., were hired to design the Post Office and Court House. J.T. Banner and Associates was established in 1947 by Joseph T. Banner at Laramie, Wyoming. The firm offered engineering, architectural and consultation services. The firm also designed the Dick Cheney Federal Building in Casper, Wyoming which was constructed from 1968-1970.
The Post Office and Court House occupies a city block bounded by West 21st Street, West 22nd Street, Capitol Avenue and Carey Avenue. Previously the block was occupied by a church and various other buildings. The final plans for the Post Office & Court House are dated March 3, 1963. The building cornerstone is located on the north edge of the east elevation and is dated 1964 and the building dedication occurred in 1965. The final construction cost was $4,211,152.
Between 1967 and 1973, the building was renamed the Joseph C. O’Mahoney Federal Center. Joseph C. O’Mahoney was a Wyoming senator was appointed to the U.S. Senate in 1933 to finish serving the term for John B. Kendrick who passed away while in office. O’Mahoney was elected to fill this vacancy in November 1934, and was reelected several times. In 1953, he returned to practicing law and in 1954 was elected to fill the vacancy in the U.S. Senate caused by the death of Lester C. Hunt and served until January 1961.
- Architects: Porter & Porter and J.T. Banner & Associates, Inc.
- Construction Dates: 1963-1965
- GSA Building Number: WY0029ZZ
- National Register of Historic Places Landmark Status: National Register Listed