U.S. Border Station-Residence, Tecate, CA
Location: 405 Tecate Rd, Tecate, CA 91980
The U.S. Inspection Station complex in Tecate is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, significant both for its role in Politics and Government as a custom house, where U.S. policies for international political and economic relations have been directly implemented on a continuing basis since 1933, as well as for the significant impact the building and its function have had on the Hispanic ethnic heritage of the region, having been the site of the immigration of thousands of new citizens of Hispanic heritage. In addition, the U.S. Inspection Station has been instrumental in the economic trade of the region, and symbolic of the exchange of cultural ideas and traditions.
The Inspection Station complex is also significant as an example of the Spanish Colonial Revival architecture as interpreted by the Depression-era federal building program under which it was constructed. The U.S. Inspection Stations at Tecate, Calexico and San Ysidro are examples of the adaptation of regional architectural style and details to suit an important government function. The Period of Significance dates from 1933, the beginning of construction. The Tecate Border Station, even with alterations, retains a high degree of its original design integrity.
The two Immigration and Customs residences are compatible in style and siting with the U.S. Inspection Station. The houses are identical in plan and elevation and are sited perpendicular to each other, south of the U.S. Inspection Station building. Each residence is a rectangular, one-story and basement, wood frame and stucco structure with a concrete foundation.
- Architect: Wetmore, James A.
- Construction Dates: 1933-1934
- GSA Building Number: CA0803LL
- National Register of Historic Places Landmark Status: National Register Listed