Removing Coffee Stains From Terrazzo Floors
- Procedure code:
- Developed For Hspg (Nps - Sero)
- Last Modified:
- This procedure includes guidance on removing coffee stains from terrazzo floors.
- See 01100-07-S for general project guidelines to be reviewed along with this procedure. These guidelines cover the following sections:
- Safety Precautions
- Historic Structures Precautions
- Quality Assurance
- Delivery, Storage and Handling
- Project/Site Conditions
- Sequencing and Scheduling
- General Protection (Surface and Surrounding)
These guidelines should be reviewed prior to performing this procedure and should be followed, when applicable, along with recommendations from the Regional Historic Preservation Officer (RHPO).
- For general information on the characteristics and maintenance of terrazzo, see 09400-01-P.
NOTE: Chemical products are sometimes sold under a common name. This usually means that the substance is not as pure as the same chemical sold under its chemical name. The grade of purity of common name substances, however, is usually adequate for stain removal work, and these products should be purchased when available, as they tend to be less expensive. Common names are indicated below by an asterisk (*).
- A sweet syrupy hygroscopic trihydroxy alcohol usually obtained by the saponification of fats and used especially as a solvent and plasticizer.
- Other chemical or common names include Glycerol; Glyceryl hydroxide; Glycyl alcohol; 1,2,3- propanetriol; Propenyl alcohol.
- Potential Hazards: FLAMMABLE.
- Available from chemical supply house, drug store or hardware store.
- Clean, potable water
- Wooden Paddle or Trowel
- Shallow Enameled Pan
- Examine the terrazzo surface carefully to determine the cause of staining before proceeding with any cleaning operation.
3.02 ERECTION, INSTALLATION, APPLICATION
NOTE: THE FOLLOWING TREATMENT SHOULD BE USED BY TRAINED AND EXPERIENCED PERSONNEL. IMPROPER USE MAY RESULT IN BLEACHING THE TERRAZZO MATRIX, IF A COLOR DYE WAS ADDED AT THE TIME OF INSTALLATION. TEST BEFORE PROCEEDING.
- Saturate a cloth in glycerine diluted with 4 times its volume in water and apply to stain.
- Thoroughly the surface with clean, clear water and allow to dry.
- Repeat the process as necessary to achieve the desired level of cleanliness.
Note: See also treatment for blue ink stains for other stain removing solutions, 09400-01-R.