Water Management & Protection
Customers look to GSA to procure utilities that are both cost-effective and environmentally responsible. GSA is dedicated to water conservation and protection. Using creative solutions based on local and regional needs, GSA maintains a balance between customer needs and environmental responsibility.
This page offers links and procedures:
- to use water more efficiently,
- install water fixtures that require less water usage,
- employ native and drought tolerant plants in landscaping,
- what to do in the event of a water break,
- pollution prevention and water testing of our drinking water.
At the Denver Federal Center, GSA is committed to sustainable landscaping, and installing xeriscape in all new areas that are landscaped and/or renovated. The new designs include many xeric (drought-tolerant) plants and reduce lawn areas where possible.
GSA is commented to prevent water pollution, such as unlawful discharges into the sanitary sewer system, such as from broken pipes and cooling towers.
|World Water Day||March 22|
|World Water Monitoring Day||September 18|
|Objectives||Reduce water use|
|Prevent unlawful discharges into the sanitary sewer system.|
|What to do in the event of a water break|
|Targets||Reduce water use by 2% per year or 16% by 2020. Baseline level for water usage is 2007|
Federal, State, and Local Policy and Regulations
- Executive Order (EO) 13693 - Planning for Federal Sustainability in the Next Decade [PDF - 341 KB], March 25, 2015; this revokes EO 13424 and 13514. Remove EO 13424 and 13514 requirements.
- P-100 GSA Facilities Standards for the Public Buildings Service; Chapter 2.4 Landscape Performance Requirements, 2.5 Landscape Prescriptive Requirements, 5.3.6 Plumbing Fixtures. Water conservation measures and irrigation requirements scattered throughout the P-100.
- Best Management Practices for Water Efficiency, Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy
- EPA WaterSense
- Denver Water Board
Procedures and Forms
|File Name||Date Revised|
|Cross-Connection & Back flow Prevention [PDF - 346 KB]||06/21/2012|
|Drinking Water-Lead Testing [PDF - 187 KB]||05/16/2012|
|Grounds Maintenance - Water Use [PDF - 269 KB]||06/20/2012|
|Indoor Water Intrusion [PDF - 360 KB]||03/01/2013|
|Metering (Energy & Water) [PDF - 248 KB]||07/25/2012|
|Sanitary Sewer Discharge [PDF - 286 KB]||06/08/2012|
|Sustainability & High Performance Green Buildings (HPGB) [PDF - 365 KB]||06/21/2012|
For more information, please contact: