In commercial buildings, space heating, cooling, and ventilation accounts for 44 percent of energy used on site, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. The GPG program selected multiple innovative HVAC technologies to investigate their usefulness, effectiveness, and applicability across the GSA portfolio.
Published HVAC Findings
The GPG program, in association with federal laboratories, has subjected the following technologies to real-world measurement and verification in GSA buildings. Links to published results are listed below.
- Advanced Commercial Rooftop Units, April 2018*
- Condensing Boilers, Updated July 2014*
- Multistaged Indirect Evaporative Cooler, March 2014
- Smart Ceiling Fans White Paper, September 2016
- Synchronous and Cogged Fan Belts, March 2014*
- Variable Refrigerant Flow, December 2012*
- Variable Speed Magnetic Bearing Chiller, December 2013*
- Variable-Speed Screw Chiller, Updated November 2017*
*M&V Results Demonstrate Deployment Potential for GSA