In commercial buildings, space heating, cooling, and ventilation accounts for 44 percent of energy used on site, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. The GPG program selected multiple innovative HVAC technologies to investigate their usefulness, effectiveness, and applicability across the GSA portfolio.
Published HVAC Findings
The GPG program, in association with federal laboratories, has subjected the following technologies to real-world measurement and verification in GSA buildings. Links to published results are listed below.
- Condensing Boilers, Updated July 2014*
- Fan Belts: Synchronous and Cogged, March 2014*
- High-Performing Commercial Rooftop Units, April 2018*
- Indirect Evaporative Cooler, March 2014
- Small Circulator Pumps with Automated Control, September 2018*
- Smart Ceiling Fans, September 2016
- Variable Refrigerant Flow, December 2012*
- Variable-Speed Direct-Drive Screw Chiller, Updated November 2017*
- Variable-Speed Maglev Chiller, December 2013*
*M&V Results Demonstrate Deployment Potential for GSA