High-Performing Commercial Rooftop Units
Green Proving Ground (GPG), working with Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) researchers, evaluated the first RTU that met the Department of Energy's High Performance RTU Challenge.
Results from a warehouse in Fort Worth, Texas showed energy savings of 26%. Another PNNL study of high-performance RTUs at two Florida supermarkets found payback of 3.8 years. View full-size infographic. [PDF - 263 KB]
Reference above to any specific commercial product, process or service does not constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation or favoring by the United States Government or any agency thereof.
- Field Evaluation of the Performance of the RTU Challenge Unit (PNNL 03-2015) [PDF]
- Part-load Performance and Characterization and Energy Savings Potential of the RTU Challenge Unit (PNNL 09-2013) [PDF]
- RTU Comparison Calculator (PNNL)
- Advanced Rooftop Control Retrofit: Field Test Results (PNNL 06-2013) [PDF]
- High-Performing RTU Requirements: CEE Tier 2.
- CEE directory.
- Find a qualifying RTU < 5.5 tons, go to the CEE directory. Select the product type (Split or Packaged Air Conditioners), then select the appropriate filters, including Phase (Commercial) and CEE Tier (CEE Tier 2).
- Find a qualifying RTU >= 5.5 tons, go to the AHRI directory. Search the Commercial database under “Unitary Large Equipment” and “AHRI Rating Conditions.” Select “Conduct Advanced Search” and then enter the desired EER and IEER efficiency levels. There are 1000s of products in the database because even a minor variation in a product number results in a separate entry, so the more filters you can apply the better.