GSA Awards Contracts for Ashley U.S. Courthouse Project
November 18, 2016
CHICAGO -- The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) announced that it awarded the contract for Design Excellence Architect/Engineer (A/E) services and Construction Manager as Agent (CMa) services for the James M. and Thomas W.L. Ashley U.S. Courthouse renovation and annex construction project in Toledo, Ohio. The project will make significant improvements to the existing courthouse, and will construct a courthouse annex to help meet the needs of the Judiciary.
From GSA Regional Administrator Ann P. Kalayil:
“The project at the Ashley U.S. Courthouse is an example of GSA’s commitment to our historic buildings and the American people who work in and visit the Courthouse. When complete, this critical investment in the Ashley U.S. Courthouse will preserve an iconic asset on the Civic Center Mall in downtown Toledo and adapt the property for modern court requirements, ensuring it remains a vibrant part of the city’s historic fabric.”
- The $104 million project allows GSA to modernize the Ashley U.S. Courthouse in conjunction with the construction of a new courthouse annex.
- The project also includes upgrades to mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and life safety systems, elevator replacement, accessibility upgrades, tenant improvements, façade repairs, and roof replacement.
- Schooley Caldwell Associates was awarded the Design Excellence A/E contract for design and management/inspection services. They will create an overall design that meets the needs of the Northern Ohio District of the United States District Courts and other building tenants, as well as producing a project that reflects the goals and objectives of the Design Excellence Program.
- Hill International was awarded the contract for the Construction Manager as Agent (CMa), and will act as subject-matter-advisors to GSA and help oversee the project.
- GSA anticipates that design and construction of the annex will be completed in 2021, and the renovation of and upgrades to the existing courthouse will be completed in 2023.