About the GSA Headquarters Building

Constructed in 1917 to serve as the headquarters for the Department of Interior, this historic building pioneered a new model of utilitarian government office building. Neither factory nor monumental office, the building served as a model for many government office buildings in the early 20th century and is considered by many the first truly modern government office building. The building was listed on the U.S. Register of National Historic Places in 1986 and has been home to the U.S. General Services Administration since the agency's conception in 1949.

print Share Icon Last Reviewed 2017-08-13