Herbert C. Hoover Federal Building (Department of Commerce)
Department of Commerce
Closed to the public.
White House Visitors Center
Pennsylvania Avenue Entrance
Open daily 7:30 am to 4:00 pm
Closed on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Year's Day.
1401 Constitution Ave, NW
Tasked with advancing economic growth, jobs, ad opportunities for the American people, the Department of Commerce experienced rapid growth in its first three decades (1903-1933), most significantly under the direction of Secretary Herbert Hoover (1921-1928). Originally housed in a collection of small leased buildings, the Department was scattered between twenty different locations by the time then-President Herbert Hoover laid the cornerstone of the new Commerce building in 1929. Designed by the New York architectural firm of York & Sawyer, the new Commerce headquarters was completed in 1932 and proclaimed the largest office building in the world with over 3,300 rooms and 1.8 million square feet of office space. Today, the building is still one of the largest in Washington DC, covering more than 8 acres and 3 city blocks and boasting 5200 windows, 1.5 million face bricks, 99 acres of plastering, and 25 tons of bronze hardware.