Conceived as part of the L'Enfant plan for the city of Washington in 1791, Judiciary Square was envisioned as a home for federal and district courthouses in the nation's capital. Development of the neighborhood in the 19th century was slow, with much of the area used for residential developments. The first courthouse erected on the site, a mellowed limestone structure, was occupied by the U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia and is one of the finest examples of Greek revival architecture in the city. Its classic style influenced the design of later 20th century additions to the Square and set the architectural tone for the current neighborhood.
Use the links below to learn more about the historic neighborhood surrounding the William B. Bryant Annex and nearby attractions.