Harry S Truman Federal Building

Harry S Truman Federal Building
Closed to the public.

2201 C Street, NW
Washington, DC 20520

The State Department occupies a two-block area in the northwest section of Washington, D.C.. It consists of two components: the War Department Building, 1939-1941, occupying the northeast quadrant of the site at the corner of E and 21st Streets; and the much larger State Department Extension of 1957-1960, which wraps around the western and southern sides of the older building. The two are related by their predominant materials - buff limestone, combined with granite - and by architectural styles of planar surfaces and minimal ornament. The site for the War Department Building was chosen in 1935, funds were appropriated in 1938. The building was designed in 1938-1939 by consulting architects Gilbert S. Underwood and William Dewey Foster under the supervision of Louis Simon, supervising Architect of the Treasury.

Last Reviewed: 2019-08-29