About the Truman Building

The State Department occupies a two-block area in the northwest section of Washington, D.C.. It consists of two components: the War Department Building, 1939-1941, occupying the northeast quadrant of the site at the corner of E and 21st Streets; and the much larger State Department Extension of 1957-1960, which wraps around the western and southern sides of the older building. The two are related by their predominant materials - buff limestone, combined with granite - and by architectural styles of planar surfaces and minimal ornament.

Last Reviewed: 2019-08-29