OPM Building Occupants
Office of Personnel Management (OPM)
OPM works in several broad categories to recruit, retain and honor a world- class workforce for the American people. Their mission includes:
- Setting policy on governmentwide hiring procedures and managing federal job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov.
- Conducting background investigations for prospective employees and security clearances across government, with hundreds of thousands of cases each year.
- Upholding and defending the merit systems in Federal civil service, making sure that the Federal workforce uses fair practices in all aspects of personnel management.
- Managing annuity benefits for retired Federal employees and their families and administering health and other insurance programs for Federal employees and retirees.
- Providing training and development programs and other management tools for Federal employees and agencies.
- In many cases, taking the lead in developing, testing and implementing new governmentwide policies that relate to personnel issues.
- Working to make the Federal government America's model employer for the 21st century.